HA LEJONE TROUT
THE FAMOUS KATSE TROUT Ha Lejone is located on the road to the Katse Dam, where the trout farm on the far end of the dam project produces the finest trout in Africa. The trout farm is a private/ public sector partnership, providing jobs for the Basotho people who live in Ha Lejone. The trout farm currently produces 200 tons of trout per year which are fed on a diet specifically formulated to keep them healthy and to prevent any harm to an environmentally sensitive area. Most of the trout is for export and is sold in South Africa. Plans are on track to double the size of production.
|Trout at Ha Lejone
||S 29 06 16.1 E 028 30 11.8
NOTE: During the rainy season most rivers are clouded with silt and fishing is badly affected. The best and most accessible spots
The Malibamats’ o, 2km below Oxbow Lodge
Khubelu River, upstream from the point where the road crosses Khubelu at tlokoeng Village and a few kilometers downstream from Metebong ea Lelingoane (on Khubelu), are reportedly especially good.
Mokhotlong River upstream from Moteanong
Sehlabathebe Park Area Tsoelikane River downstream from the falls, both within and outside the park.
- Park Ponds — only available for fishing for guests at Sehlabathebe Lodge
- Leqooa River — the River is reportedly good from its confluence with Thamathu upstream, but the most beautiful stretch is 4 hours horse back from the park lodge.
Makhaleng River downstream, 2km below Molimo Nthuse Hotel. This river has been stocked a few times. It is the nearest fishing area, 2 hours drive from Maseru.
- Senqunyane River — around Marakabedi Lodge and upstream from the Lodge.
Thaba Tseka main dam has been stocked with trout for recreational purposes and fish have an average mass of 270g
There is another small dam below the Basotho pony which has been stocked with 140g trout for recreational purposes. Additional Permit is required.
The license fee is M5-00 for the whole year, obtainable from
Ministry of Agriculture Livestock Division Private bag A82 Maseru 100 Lesotho
|Ministry of Agriculture
||Tel: +266 22323986
||S 29º 18’ 00.7 E 27º 30’ 04.8
Closed season in scheduled trout is from the first day of June in any year to the thirty-first day of August in the year, both days inclusive.
TYPES OF EQUIPMENT PERMISSIBLE FOR FISHING
- Fishing tackle trout
- Only rod and line may be used no gillnetting.
- A landing net and gaff may be used
- Bag Limit for trout
- Twelve trout over ten inches in length.
- Others must be returned undamaged to the water.
- Before taking a fish venture, it is advisable to seek advice on the concentration of fish from the Ministry of Agriculture on the above given address